Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Death by Lightening...almost

So I went to girls camp this last week and had a blast! It was great camping, getting fried by the sun and almost getting hit by lightening. Yes, you heard (or technically read) me correctly I got a big fat sunburn. Ha ha! Well, my face was pretty bad and is still peeling, but that's besides the point. I'm sure you all want to hear about the lightening. So...lunch was getting over and we were all sitting underneath a tarp because it had started to rain. I will mention here that I was sitting on a metal chair - not the smartest idea. Well, the leaders had just asked everyone to clean up and move to their next rotations and while this was happening we heard a huge "CRACK!!!!!!" and when I said huge I meant HUGE, LOUD, extremely startling! EVERYONE jumped (and many screamed) and turned to see chunks of wood falling from a tree that was abou 30 yards away. Then we started smelling the burnt wood. It was really cool!!! At this point all the leaders started yelling for us to get inside...hee hee! Where we stayed for about 30-45 minutes until the rain/hail stopped. That's the story, no one got hurt, but it was pretty awesome to be that close to a tree that got struck by lightening. Here are some pictures of the tree. The lightening wrapped around the tree, it can be hard to see in the pictures. 




No comments: